Less than 24 hours after the U.S. killed Iranian military commander Qassemi Soleimani, air strikes targeting an Iraqi militia group killed six people on Friday.
The strike hit a convoy of vehicles belonging to the Iran-backed Popular Mobilization Forces in north Baghdad, Reuters reported, citing an Iraqi army source.
Looks like the US carried out another strike against an Iranian-controlled militia. We're not messing around. | https://t.co/8mm3mYN4Tz
— Mike (@Doranimated) January 3, 2020
According to the source, two of the three vehicles in the convoy were destroyed and six charred corpses were found.
The United States appears to be responsible for the air strikes, according to Michael Doran, a foreign policy expert and senior fellow at the Hudson institute.
“Looks like the US carried out another strike against an Iranian-controlled militia. We’re not messing around,” Doran said in a tweet on Friday evening.
Rudaw English, a Kurdish media news outlet, also attributed the attack to the U.S.
Various users on Twitter alleged in unconfirmed reports that PMU leader Shibl al-Zaydi had been killed in the strike.
— Charles Lister (@Charles_Lister) January 3, 2020
Earlier in the day, President Donald Trump issued a warning to those who would threaten Americans and addressed the death of Soleimani.
“Last night at my direction, the United States military successfully executed a flawless precision strike that killed the number one terrorist anywhere in the world: Qassem Soleimani,” Trump said during the brief address from his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.
“Under my leadership, America’s policy is unambiguous to terrorists who harm or intend to harm any American,” Trump said. “We will find you. We will eliminate you.”
Soleimani, one of the most powerful figures in the Iranian government, was the spearhead of Iran’s spreading military influence in the Middle East.