Odessa police said Sunday that one gunman was involved in a shooting Saturday that killed at least seven people and injured more than 20 others.
Police previously suspected multiple shooters were potentially involved, Odessa Police Chief Michael Gerke said during a news conference. They are now “confident” there was only one who used an “AR-type” weapon, they said. They said he had a criminal record.
Gerke said he would not identify the suspected shooter publicly at the conference.
“I am not going to give him any notoriety for what he did,” he said.
However, two hours later, The Associated Press identified the gunman as 36-year-old Seth Ator, citing anonymous Odessa police officials.
An FBI response team was seen on live video at the suspect’s home. They put up crime tape around the property in Ector County.
According to Heavy, which did a statewide criminal history search on the Texas Department of Public Safety’s website, Ator was charged with criminal trespass in 2001 in McLennan County, Texas. It was a Class B Misdemeanor.
He was then charged with a second offense for evading arrest. The record shows that Ator pleaded guilty in 2002 and was sentenced to two years probation.
Police said the suspect was included in the attack’s fatalities.
Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke were among several Democratic presidential candidates who spoke out after the shooting.
“We do know that this is f—ed up. We know that this has to stop in our country,” O’Rourke told the audience at a campaign stop Saturday.
The Democrat reiterated those sentiments Sunday on CNN.
Pluralist contributed to this report.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact email@example.com.